Learning Target: I will explain the origins and significance of Memorial Day.
- Review these resources and then explain the origins and significance of Memorial Day. I hope you have a meaningful Memorial Day.
- The origin of Memorial Day is a 4:36 minute video explaining the Civil War connections in establishing this federal holiday.
- History of the Holidays: History of Memorial Day is a 3:30 video sharing the origins of this American holiday.
- Steve Reichert - Ronald Reagan Memorial Day Video is a 3:31 minute tribute to America and those who served their country.
- Memorial Day is a Britannica article that provides an overview of this federal holiday.
- Don't Say 'Thank You For Your Service' This Monday is a May 28, 2017 NPR article by James Doubek that explains the different purposes of Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
- What to say instead of ‘Happy Memorial Day’ Before you say people are well-intentioned, which they are, just hear us out is a May 25, 2020 WSLS story by Michelle Ganley that briefly explains what to say on Memorial Day.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRXrfs0f1Fo Published on May 27, 2011 Learn more about the History of Memorial Day. #HistoryChannel
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ozdFkwHP8&t=5s Published on May 24, 2014 Memorial Day has become the "summer is here" holiday, but of course there's more to it. Historian Kenneth C. Davis, author of the popular "Don't Know Much" history series, joins "CBS This Morning: Saturday" with a history lesson on the most solemn of the 11 federal holidays.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QlBvP3xYnY Published on Jan 22, 2015 Tribute to America and those who served their country.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJkj0YfakE Published on May 11, 2015 A video to honor and remember those who have fallen defending our country.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US-JtMAkLaQ Published on Aug 2, 2013 "History of Memorial Day" Take a closer look at the origin of Memorial Day, a day dedicated to honoring the memory of fallen troops.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34rlZriNzbU Published on May 26, 2019 President Reagan commemorates those Americans who have willingly sacrificed their lives for their country, during the Memorial Day ceremonies held at the Arlington National Cemetery, May 31, 1982. Video (5/28/18) by Airman 1st Class Ryan Brooks, 31st Fighter Wing Public Affairs.