Learning Target: I will identify the attitudes, actions, and grievances leading to a Declaration of Independence by the colonists from Great Britain’s crown.
- Take the Declaration of Independence Document Based Questions Guide and Response Sheet from the shelf. Take out a writing tool and immediately head both documents.
- Immediately analyze this image: Paul Revere’s 1770 print _Brittish Ships of War Landing Their Troops, 1768_mod
- Silently work for three-minutes to fill out the Five W’s (Who, What, Where, When, Why) for the Do Now section of the Declaration DBQ Guide.
- Go over possible answers to the Do Now activity.
- Review instructions to a 12-minute activity where students work in Expert Groups to analyze and synthesize one Document. Students will then create a Collaborative Poster that includes answers to the Guide Questions and all Five W’s (Who, What, Where, When, Why).
- Work on the Collaborative Poster for 12 minutes. Once the timer goes off, all groups will turn in colored markers and place their Collaborative Poster in the assigned station.
- Students will have a Gallery Walk to complete filling out the Declaration DBQ Guide. They will spend one-minute at each station during the Gallery Walk.
- Once completing the Gallery Walk, immediately remove the Collaborative Poster from the station and place it in the assigned area.
- Students will answer the Learning Target in the form of a T-Chart, by comparing the attitudes, actions, and grievances of the Colonists and King George III.