Telelearn.org provides numerous resources. Parents and students are encouraged to use this site because it provides all of these resources:
- Assignments contains an online Assignment Card with all assignments, due dates, and points.
- Agenda contains a detailed outline of the daily lesson and links to posted lessons.
- Calendar provides dates for assignments, assessments, and events.
- Drive contains folders for Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and other
- Lessons offers most class materials, including viewing guides, notes, and assignments.
- Links provides numerous websites to help students better understand American history, government, geography, and current events.
- About provides teacher biographical information, class and grade policies, a course syllabus, state standards, and miscellaneous pages that explain school or class events.
- Updates contains Google Slides that share information about school and district events.
About Mr. Garritson
James Garritson has taught 7th or 8th grade history since 1998. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from California State Fullerton University, a Master of Science in Educational Technology from National University, a California Single Subject English Credential from National University, and a California Single Subject Social Science Supplemental Credential. He taught 9th and 12th grade English at Buena Park High School during his student teaching years back in 1997. He was then hired in 1998 to to teach 7th grade English and History at Buena Park Junior High. After two years of teaching in the Buena Park Union School District, Garritson moved in 2000 from Fullerton to Valley Center. He then taught 7th grade history at L.R. Green for five years during the time it was still a K-8 school. Mr. Garritson had the great opportunity to become one of the original teachers at Bear Valley Middle School when it first opened in August of 2004. Here, he taught two groups of students both 7th and 8th grade American history before the practice of looping ended. Garritson has now taught five consecutive years of 8th grade American history and enjoys teaching the subject very much. His passion for civics led him to run for office and get elected to the Valley Center Community Planning Group in November of 2014.
Garritson hopes that students studying history will use their knowledge of the past and create solutions to current problems facing government at the local, state, and national levels. The social sciences are a passion for Mr. Garritson because he realizes students have the opportunity to learn valuable lessons from their knowledge of the past and insure that "We the People of the United States" will continue to "secure the Blessings of Liberty." It is his desire that once former students grow up and leave behind their textbooks, assignments, assessments, classrooms, and schools, they will remain lifelong learners, critical thinkers, and virtuous Americans.
According to Mr. Garritson, it is his privilege to teach students about liberty, which people have always struggled to attain and retain. He hopes students will dedicate themselves to defending and upholding the founding principles of the United States throughout their lives.
In pursuit of Wisdom!
Mr. Garritson Survey
- Name: James Michael Garritson
- Job on Campus: Eighth Grade Social Studies Teacher
- What is your favorite color? variety
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? A private island
- What is your favorite singer/ artist/ group? Meatloaf
- What is your favorite TV show? Get Smart
- What is your favorite sports team? none
- What is your favorite candy/snack? chocolate
- What is your favorite movie? Braveheart
- What is your favorite magazine? a variety of online resources
- If you could be a superhero for one day, who would you be? Iron Man
- What is your favorite animal? dog
- If you could have any other job, what would it be? digital designer
- If you could be any Disney character, who would you be and why? Scrooge McDuck. In the cartoon show Duck Tales, Scrooge is shown to work very hard prior to earning and managing a vast fortune. McDuck soon learns the valuable lesson that his true wealth is found in his family and friends instead of material possessions. He promotes individualism, entrepreneurship, hard work, frugality, adventure, education, physical fitness, and virtue. While Scrooge in the historical Disney canon is sometimes shown miserly, the Carl Barks and Duck Tales versions show the numerous good traits and qualities he possesses. Scrooge learns that using his wealth for good gives him great joy in numerous episodes of Duck Tales. Unlike numerous Disney characters who are born into royalty, Scrooge was born into poverty, he must struggle to keep and use his vast fortune for the betterment of his family, society, and himself.
- What is your favorite holiday? Thanksgiving
- What is your favorite store? Costco
- If you had one wish, what would it be? I wish for all evil, sickness, and death to instantly end. In such a state, people would finally gain the purest form of liberty and could fully pursue their human creativity.
- What is your favorite quote? “Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Wallace in Braveheart
- What is your favorite Website?
- What would your perfect day be? Eternity
- Tell us about yourself. My love of liberty and disdain for tyranny are philosophical foundations that direct my life. Liberty shapes my faith and the foundations of my family. History, politics, economics, and geography are topics that interest me both as a teacher and lifelong student. Cross-country running is a sport that connects me to my childhood and continues to help shape my mind, body, and spirit. Spending quality time with my wife Archellyn and four children Rebecca, James, Linda and Archelle are precious gifts. Watching movies, listening to talk radio, reading historical books, reading cartoon strips, spending time with my dogs, using technology, working on home and land projects, and striving to learn new things are pastimes I always enjoy. Many activities I enjoyed during my youth still interest me such as drawing, creating comic characters, watching cartoons, running, and spending time with my large family. I am the oldest child in a family of fourteen children. I have nine brothers and four sisters.
- Spouse? Archellyn
- Kids or Grandkids? Rebecca, James, and Linda
- Pets? Yorkshire Terriors named Romulus Maximus and Octavia Maxima
- Which college(s) did you attend? Mt. San Antonio College, University of Alabama, California State Fullerton University, National University
- What is your hometown? Fullerton